Are There Security Cameras Available That Work Without Wi-Fi?
We can gladly say yes! There are security cameras that function without wifi You don’t have to worry about the security even if you live in an area that does not have proper service.
Security Cameras That Don’t Require Wifi
In technical terms, the following types of cameras do not need wifi.
CCTV: CCTV cameras – also known as closed-circuit television cameras, is apt for businesses and police department for surveillance or even for home security; however the prevalence is less.
Instead of an app, the guards watch CCTV footage widespread on several monitors. The storage is on either NVR or a DVD. NVR is a network video recorder set for digital systems.
Analog: Analog cameras use coaxial cable to transmit video from the camera to a DVR.
HD-over-coax: In Cameras with HD-over-coax, non-compressed video from cameras is sent to recorders through coaxial cable. The output is HD. However, not many cameras are compatible with coaxial cables.
IP: Such cameras are usually used with a surveillance camera since it is a lot more expensive than regular home security cameras that work without wifi.
Is Installation Of Security Cameras Without Wifi Harder?
It is not at all necessary. However, some security companies may make you think otherwise. As some cameras are wireless, their installation can be pretty easy.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Wifi Cameras
Here is a list of points for consideration:
- No need for data plans because wifi is available mainly in the house. You won’t have to pay for any additional charges.
- You will be able to live stream and see the ongoing situation through the app.
- Most cameras allow the use of remote control.
- Your camera may be able to notify when it senses movement.
- The more IT devices you add to the network, the more bandwidth it will require, ultimately slowing down your internet.
- Faulty wifi can be a nuisance, and it is not always dependable. You could use a mesh for a better network, but sole dependence on wifi may mean losing the connection from time to time, on varying strengths.
- wifi cameras are easy to hack, more so if you don’t have your network password protected.
No-Wi-Fi Cameras Pros and Cons
Here is why you should get a no Wi-Fi security camera:
- There is no fear of hacking. You can say that cellular data is hackable, but it is still better than Wi-Fi ones.
- Remote features may still be available if you use a data plan. Notifications, and live streaming, are the main benefits.
- However, to use such benefits, an extra data plan will be required.
- You will have to pay for an extra data plan.
- These systems are bulky, more so since they require large DVRs.
No Wi-Fi security cameras are not for business or police use since they cost more than regular security cameras that require Wi-Fi for functioning.
There is a security camera out there for you that will work best under specific circumstances, be it Wi-Fi, cellular or huge hard drives. Yet, we recommend getting cameras connected to the internet in a way, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data, so you have access to see what’s happening at home from anywhere.
If you plan to get one, head to Illuminar Inc and take help from our professionals. We have the best range in reasonable prices. Visit or call at 1 281 438 3500 for more.